- PEI Class 1 Rating (No foot traffic) - Recommended for wall use only in residential and commercial applications.
- PEI Class 2 Rating (Light traffic) - Recommended for both wall use and bathroom floor applications.
- PEI Class 3 Rating (Light to moderate traffic) - Recommended for countertops, walls, and floors where normal foot traffic is expected.
- PEI Class 4 Rating (Moderate to heavy traffic) - Recommended for all residential applications as well as medium commercial and light institutional.
- PEI Class 5 Rating (Heavy to extra heavy traffic) - Recommended for all residential as well as heavy commercial and institutional applications.
PEI Rating (Porcelain Enamel Institute)The current rating system for ceramic tile is the only reliable gauge for consumers to use in determining wear expectations for a particular tile application. The Porcelain Enamel Institute (PEI) has developed a rating scale that can effectively guide you through the process of choosing the right tile for a particular application. This rating system is recommended by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM).
Most porcelain tiles have a PEI rating of 5, which makes them the hardest wearing tiles on the market.
The links below are good sources for more information about which tiles to choose, either porcelain, ceramic or natural stone:
copyright 2011 Creative Ceramics LLC